Star Gazer

Post your fanart, music, let's plays and more here!

Star Gazer

Postby Riobux » Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Hey, wasn't sure if to post it here or the off-topic forum. I also half debated making my own fan-fiction series it's own topic, but still mildly hoping I can stay committed to doing it.

Anyway, thought I'd start writing fan-fiction for no reason except "why not?", and because I could do with some practice writing since I'm rusty. Just doing it in episodic chapters for about 10 chapters, maybe more or less depending on things. It's also done in a diary format. Any apologies if I get any lore wrong since I'll admit to not being too familiar with the current lore. Anyway, first episode, hope it's enjoyable.

Edit: Mild note. I'll be remaking this topic in the Fan Media board when I'm finished with Chapter 2. Figured not worth bumping for. So far the prototype name for the series is Star Gazer and will probably stick with that if I can't think of a better name by the time Chapter 2 rolls out. Whatever the name in the end is, I'll make the topic name that. Just look for a topic by me in that board. If someone wants to delete the topic when I post chapter 2, they can go ahead.

Edit 2: Delayed, sorry, university work.

Edit 3: Got a plan in the works, it'll be out before the end of the month. I'm really truly sorry about these delays, but I haven't forgotten it. I'm getting the gears going about possibly sliding in a character from another fan-fiction. The recent Starcrawler Twitch stream is relevant.

-----------
Chapter 1: Star Gazer.

Dear B 17 Balmer Console.

I'll admit to being unable to work out how to start this log. In old reports they tended to start with a date but, well, got to thank the previous owners for deciding that a time or date system is useless enough to not be repaired. I did try asking the rest of the crew with mostly shrugs. Only one answer from Skuz, which was to name it and write it as a letter. Considering the odd smirk on her face, I'd imagine she thought of me as one of those Jarheads who name their gun a woman's name. Only came across one of those years back, and it ended with genital mutilation after the Private got too frisky with his girl. However, maybe as a letter will do for now, and it seems to have the console name to the machine still printed just above the keyboard: B17 Balmer. So that'll do.

So today, finally bought a new ship after the previous accident. I'll compile a report on the accident that led to the previous ship later once this ship is up to scratch and remotely spick and span. It led to me having to purchase a new ship. Well, an old ship, since the credits were not paid in the end. Fortunately sold the old ship for scrap metal to some fella called Bob, so got some extra credits to go towards a working ship. Bob was even kind enough to point me to the nearest place to buy a new ship: The local bar. As soon as I walked in, I knew I wouldn't get a deal I'd like. This place had leather seats and the type of plastic carpeting that made your feet stick to the floor. It was pricey. The bartender just sealed the deal as he seemed to be without battle scars (bar brawl or otherwise). I could feel a knife going into my spine the second I walked in. I sat on one the stools at the bar, the cushion making a wheeze as I did so and waved the man behind the counter. I could tell he didn't like it when I asked “oi, keep!”, trying to grab his attention from polishing glasses and browsing his datapad. It was as though one of this teeth crunched down a slug. He walked over and asked “what can I get you?”.
“Just a pint of booze.”
His face of bitter released into a face of disappointment, as he sighed and poured me a pint of ale. As the keep placed the warm piss-water, he told me the greatest joke I had heard in weeks. “That'll be 20 credits”. 20 credits?! I don't pay more than 8 way back. Damn corp-station. Looks like a space station, feels like a corpworld. So, of course, I had to swipe my datapad to pay the man. If I told him what he should have been told, I'd be walking away without a ship. So, taking a drink out of expensive petrol, I scanned the bar. You could tell the sort selling ships around here. They're the idiots who dress smart but look like they've had a day of work. Right in the corner, in a booth, I saw one of those as he's flicking through his pad. A boy in a smart suit, but nothing one of them corps would wear. Even I could see the strands of loose fabric on his jacket. Not to mention, corps don't tend to allow those with green side-burns with red hair. A silly look.

So I went up to him with my pint and asked for a seat. He pointed gently to the seat opposite him. I sat down, planting what was hopefully going to be my first and only purchase on this bankrupt station near me.
“Need a cheap ship, something that works. No thrills.”
Then came the accent. “Gawt sumthin' for ya den. Civi ship, engine works, no guns on da thang though”. God damn Libbies...Good for most things, but their grating voice.
“Need some guns on it of course.”
“Aw okay mate, well 'den, dar iz sum ship dat I've been meanings to git rid ov, gawt sum ruste cannons.”

I'll stop trying to write out the conversation since it's long, dumb and tedious. Just know two things:
1. I ended up accepting to buy a ship that was hard to sell.
2. Don't ever visit the Liborrian area if you value your ears.

So this guy introduced me to a ship, and I got Jo to have a look. While this kid, Jakson I think he called himself, tried to badger Jo with information, Jo had less patience than me. By the second time, during the “grand tour”, Jakson opened his mouth to say something, Jo told him “Shut up. Now.” firmly. Would hurt the deal, but glad someone stopped him from talking more. The engineer looked around the ship, pulling apart seemingly random grating and looking, before telling me “ship isn't in good shape, but can be made to be”. I somewhat wish Jo hadn't said the second part in front of Jakson. I could feel my credit account getting lighter by the moment. However, at least I know this is worth while buying. So me and the boy talked more on price, and finally ended up flogging my account. Not as much as I thought he would, but I think he figured the engineer could return if requested and wanted to avoid meeting her again.

So, here we are, in the new ship. The Star Gazer. Seems a bit of a sappy name, but works I think. At least Valms, the ship psyker, thinks it's good luck and Skuz think it has a nice ring to it. If a better name is thought of, I'll change it, but a name is just a name sometimes. Sometimes it can mean something, but I think this was just a name by some young kid who fancied himself a poet.

Most of today, since buying, has involved Jo fixing the mechanics, Ricks fixing the electronics, me and Valms arranging everything else and Skuz just helping anyone anyway she could. Hopefully, tomorrow I can find a contract and get off this financial war-crime called “Space Station Cravexia”.

Crawler Captain Nathaniel Lamb, logging out.
Last edited by Riobux on Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Riobux
Recon Elite

Re: Fan Fiction

Postby Dablue » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 am

Very cool Idea, that was missing actually, fan fiction. Perhaps we can get a seperate sub forum for fan fiction and fan art? (Gazes at Steve)

I love how you set it up as letters to yourself. It reminds me of the letters soldiers wrote towards home when they were overseas in WW2. =)
Dablue
StarCrawler

Postby SteveAdamo » Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 am

excellent work Riobux! :)

and i would agree with you both, that a fan media section was likely due... so, now we have one! unfortunately, i am unable to move posts from within General Discussion, so we'll have to wait for Elena, or someone else on Team Juggernaut to move this particular thread over there...

can't wait to see what else the community develops! :D
SteveAdamo
Site Admin

Postby Riobux » Mon May 05, 2014 8:24 am

Is it worthwhile me recreating it with a better title and just deleting this one? Calling it "Fan-fiction" in a fan-fiction topic is a bit...Redundant. Unless it's possible to get a name change when moving it?

Thanks for the compliments so far. I'll admit to being scared out of my mind when I saw replies, fearing the worse. So when I read some people enjoying it, well, now I'm a bit more confident about a few ideas floating about.

Dablue wrote:I love how you set it up as letters to yourself. It reminds me of the letters soldiers wrote towards home when they were overseas in WW2. =)

Very much a happy accident and very appropriate. Really glad the hints at character classes is coming through (even if some of the hints are nothing more than me saying "OH, YEAH, THIS PERSON IS ENGINEER!"). I'll admit to being inspired partially by the Darkest Dungeon fan-fiction by Twitchblade, but also by just simply not knowing the time system in the game.
Riobux
Recon Elite

Postby SteveAdamo » Mon May 05, 2014 8:39 am

Riobux wrote:Is it worthwhile me recreating it with a better title and just deleting this one? Calling it "Fan-fiction" in a fan-fiction topic is a bit...Redundant. Unless it's possible to get a name change when moving it?

if i had the means to move it, we could retitle it as well... in the interim, feel free to recreate it in the fan media forum, with a more customized title as well, i suppose! :D

looking forward to the next entries... :)
SteveAdamo
Site Admin

Re: Star Gazer

Postby Dablue » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 am

and... its moved.. I was thinking you could submit those stories to Elena and Co. and see if they can add them as a datafiles on computers. Your stories might need some tweaking to fit or something, i dont know.. but it would be cool to see stuff like this.. plus its basicly free filling that doenst take development time.
Dablue
StarCrawler

Postby matthewfarmery » Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 am

I also second the idea of submitting the stories, if they are very good, would be nice to see them in the game. I doubt every store will make it in, but maybe a contest user votes for the best story, and if the devs like them too and give them the go ahead, they will be in the game. up top the devs of course, but I think it would be a cool idea.
matthewfarmery
Engineer

Postby SteveAdamo » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 am

Dablue wrote:and... its moved..

with great moderation powers comes ... ... great fun!

my OCD got the better of me, and I went on a rampage yesterday afternoon... :geek:
SteveAdamo
Site Admin

Postby Riobux » Wed May 07, 2014 10:25 am

I may look into submitting this story to see if Elena & Co wants to use it as a small data file (or collection of data files?) once I've got a few more chapters under my belt. At the very least so I feel safe I've submitted something of some quality.

Edit:
SteveAdamo wrote:

my OCD got the better of me, and I went on a rampage yesterday afternoon... :geek:

Ah, thanks! Even managed to adjust the topic name on my own.
Riobux
Recon Elite

Postby Dablue » Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 am

Riobux wrote:I may look into submitting this story to see if Elena & Co wants to use it as a small data file (or collection of data files?) once I've got a few more chapters under my belt. At the very least so I feel safe I've submitted something of some quality.

Edit:
SteveAdamo wrote:

Ah, thanks! Even managed to adjust the topic name on my own.

Well what I personally would love if you happen upon chapter 1 in mission 1, chapter 2 in mission 3 etc etc.
Dablue
StarCrawler

Next

Return to Fan Media